My research interests are in air pollution, atmospheric chemistry, and chemistry-climate interactions, with particular emphases on organic gases and organic aerosols. Research topics include: inverse modeling of emissions using surface, aircraft, and satellite measurements; pollutant long-range transport; chemistry of volatile organic gases; secondary organic aerosol formation and evolution; air-sea exchange of organics; impact of climate on air quality; cloud-aerosol interaction; remote sensing of trace gases; aerosol composition measurements.
2019.3-present Professor, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Southern University of Science and Technology
2016.7 – 2019.2 Associate Professor with tenure (長聘副教授),?Dept. of Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, Peking University
2010.6 – 2016.7 “Bairen” Professor (tenure-track Assistant Professor, 百人計劃研究員), Dept. of Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, Peking University
2008.1 – 2010.6 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Civil & Structural Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
2007.9 – 2007.12 Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University
2002.9 – 2007.9 Ph.D., Dept. of Earth & Planetary Sciences, Harvard University
2002.9 – 2005.6 S.M., School of Engineering & Applied Sciences, Harvard University
2000.9 – 2002.6 M.S., Dept. of Atmospheric Sciences, National Taiwan University
1996.9 – 2000.6 B.S., Dept. of Atmospheric Sciences, National Taiwan University
2012 National Natural Science Foundation of China Outstanding Young Scientist Fellowship (國家自然科學基金委優秀青年基金)
2012 Peking University School of Physics Zhong Sheng Biao Young Faculty Award (北京 大學物理學院鐘盛標青年教師獎)
2013 Tu Chang Wang Award in Meteorological Science and Technology (涂長望青年氣象 科技獎)
Committees and professional membership:
Chinese Environmental Science Society, Professional Committee for Pollution Prevention & Control of Volatile Organic Compounds (Expert member)
Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology, Earth System Modeling Center Scientific Advisory Committee (Board member)
Integrated Land Ecosystem-Atmosphere Processes Study (iLEAPS) China Committee (Board member)
Chinese Meteorological Society American Geophysical Union
Session co-chair for Asia Oceania Geosciences Society Annual Meeting (2010, 2015, 2017) Local organizer for International Global Atmospheric Chemistry (IGAC) Open Science
Conference Young Scientist Program (2012)
Organizer for the 1st National Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences PhD Student Forum (2011)
Organizer for the 3rd Gezhi Forum for Young Scientists, Peking University School of Physics (2011)
Associate editor for The Hong Kong Institute of Engineers Transactions (2008-2010) Guest editor for Atmospheric Environment, special issue on air pollution over the Yangtze
River Delta (2015)
Proposal reviewer for the National Natural Science Foundation of China, the Hong Kong Research Grant Council
Reviewer for Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Journal of Geophysical Research, Geophysical Research Letters, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Atmospheric Environment, Global Biogeochemical Cycle, Atmospheric Research, Tellus, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, Advances in Atmospheric Sciences
Reviewer for Acid Deposition Monitoring Network in East Asia (EANET) Report: Review on the State of Air Pollution in East Asia, 2014
Total grants as PI/Co-PI at Peking University: 8.73 million RMB
1. High-resolution study of chemistry-climate interaction over China
National Basic Research Program of China (973 項目課題) (No. 2014CB441303), 2014- 2018, 4.86M (out of 13.5M) RMB, Co-PI (課題負責人)
2. Impact of aerosol physics and chemistry on the haze over Taiwan Strait and surrounding areas
National Natural Science Foundation of China Collaborative Funding with Taiwan (基金 委兩岸合作項目) (No. 4141101076), 2015-2017, 2M RMB, PI
3. Atmospheric organic gases and organic aerosols
National Natural Science Foundation of China Outstanding Young Scientist Fellowship (基金委優青項目) (No. 412220093), 2013-2015, 1M RMB, PI
4. Constraining Chinese volatile organic gas emissions using satellite observations of formaldehyde and glyoxal
National Natural Science Foundation of China General Research Grant (基金委面上項
目) (No. 41175101), 2012-2015, 0.75M RMB, PI
5. Numerical parameterization for the activation of organic aerosols
Chinese Ministry of Education Research Grant (教育部博士點基金) (No. 20110001110090), 2012-2014, 120K RMB, PI
6. Primary emissions and secondary formation pathways of carbonaceous aerosol in the Pearl River Delta Region: a regional model synthesis
Hong Kong Research Grant Council General Research Fund, 2009-2010, 0.4M HKD, PI
7. Development of cloud and aerosol parameterizations for climate models
“National Science Foundation (of Taiwan) Integrated Research Grant” (臺灣 “國家科學 委員會”整合型計劃), 2011-2016, 26M TWD, Co-PI
8. Reconstruction of the history of aerosol concentrations and database
Chinese Academy of Sciences Strategic Program (中科院先導專項碳專項) (No. XDA05100401), 2011-2015, 200K RMB, Co-I
Publication??(* denotes corresponding author)
1. Feng, X., T.-M. Fu*, H. Cao, H. Tian, Q. Fan, X. Chen (2019), Neural network prediction of pollutant emissions from open burning of crop residues: application to air quality forecasts in Southern China, Atmospheric Environment, 204, 22-31, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2019.02.002
2. Zhou, M., L. Zhang, D. Chen, Y. Gu, T.-M. Fu, M. Gao, Y. Zhao, X. Lu, and B. Zhao (2018), The impact of aerosol-radiation interactions on the effectiveness of emission control measures, Environmental Research Letters, 14(2), 024002, doi:10.1088/1748- 9326/aaf27d.
3. Xing, L., M. Shrivastava*, T.-M. Fu*, P. Roldin, Y. Qian, L. Xu, N. L. Ng, J. Shilling, A. Zelenyuk, and C. Cappa (2018), Parameterized yields of semi-volatile products from isoprene oxidation under different NOx levels:impacts of chemical aging and wall-loss of reactive gases, Environmental Science and Technology, 52(16), 9225-9234, doi:10.1021/acs.est8b00373.
4. Cao, H., T.-M. Fu*, L. Zhang, D. K. Henze, C. Chan Miller, C. Lerot, G. Gonzalex Abad, I. De Smedt, Q. Zhang, M. van Roosendael, K. Chance, J. Li, J. Zheng, and Y. Zhao (2018), Adjoint inversion of Chinese non-methane volatile organic compound emissions using space-based observations of formaldehyde and glyoxal, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 18, 15017-15046, doi:10.5194/acp-18-15017-2018.
5. Liu, M., J. Lin, Y. Wang, Y. Sun, B. Zheng, J. Shao, L. Chen, Y. Zheng, J. Chen, T.-M. Fu, Y. Yan, Q. Zhang, and Z. Wu (2018), Spatiotemporal variability of NO2 and PM2.5 over Eastern China: observational and model analyses with a novel statistical method, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 18, 12933-12952, doi:10.5194/acp-18- 12933-2018.
6. Chen, Q.*, T.-M. Fu*, J. Hu*, Q. Ying, and L. Zhang (2017), Modelling secondary organic aerosols in China, National Science Review, doi:10.1093/nsr/nwx143.
7. Li, N., J.-P. Chen, I.-C. Tsai, Q. He, S.-Y. Chi, Y.-C. Lin, and T.-M. Fu (2016), Potential impacts of electric vehicles on air quality in Taiwan, Science of the Total Environment, 566-567, 919-928, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.05.105.
8. Xu, W., T.-M. Fu*, J. Chen, and H. Tian (2016), Ground-based measurement and variation analysis of carbonaceous aerosols in Wuqing, Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Pekinensis, 52(3), 409-419, doi:10.13209/j.0479-8023.2015.144. (In Chinese)
9. Tsai, I.C., J.-P. Chen, C.S.-C. Lung, N. Li, W.-N. Chen, T.-M. Fu, C.-C. Chang, and G.-D. Hwang (2015), Sources of organic aerosol in a subtropical metropolis during summer, Atmospheric Environment, 117, 51-60, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.07.005.
10. Fu, T.-M.*, Y. Zheng, F. Paulot, J. Mao, and R.M. Yantosca (2015), Positive but variable sensitivity of August surface ozone to large-scale warming in the southeast United States, Nature Climate Change, 5, 454-458, doi:10.1038/nclimate2567.
11. Zhang, L., L. Liu, Y. Zhao, S. Gong, X. Zhang, D.K. Henze, S.L. Capps, T.-M. Fu, and Q. Zhang (2015), Source Attribution of Particulate Matter Pollution over North China with the Adjoint Method, Environmental Research Letters, 10, 084011, doi:10.1088/1748-9326/10/8/084011.
12. Xing, L., and T.-M. Fu* (2015), Contributions of organic aerosols to cloud condensation nuclei numbers in China, Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Pekinensis, 51(1), 13-23, doi:10.13209/j.0479-8023.2014.143. (In Chinese)
13. Jian, Y., and T.-M. Fu* (2014), Injection heights of springtime biomass burning plumes over the Peninsular Southeast Asia and their impacts on pollutant long-range transport, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 14, 3977-3989, doi:10.5194/acp-14- 3977-2014.
14. Li, N., T.-M. Fu*, J.J. Cao, S.C. Lee, X.-F. Huang, L.-Y. He, K.-F. Ho, J. S. Fu, and Y.- F. Lam (2013), Sources of secondary organic aerosols in the Pearl River Delta region in fall: contributions from the aqueous reactive uptake of dicarbonyls, Atmospheric Environment, 76, 200-207, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.12.005.
15. Zhang, Y., L. Qiao, Y. Ren, X. Wang, M. Gao, Y. Tang, J.J. Xi, T.-M. Fu*, and X. Jiang (2013), Two dimensional barcode-inspired automatic analysis for arrayed microfluidic immunoassays, Biomicrofluidics, 7, 034110, doi:10.1063/1.4811278.
16. Xing, L., T.-M. Fu*, J.J. Cao, S.C. Lee, G.H. Wang, K.-F. Ho, M.-C. Cheng, C.-F. You, and T.J. Wang (2013), Seasonal and spatial variability of the organic matter-to-organic carbon mass ratios in Chinese urban organic aerosols and a first report of high correlations between aerosol oxalic acid and zinc, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 13, 4307-4318, doi:10.5194/acp-13-4307-2013.
17. He, C., and T.-M. Fu* (2013), Air-sea exchange of volatile organic compounds: a new model with microlayer effects, Atmospheric and Oceanic Science Letter, 6(2), 97-102.
18. Fu, T.-M*., J.J. Cao, X.Y. Zhang, S.C. Lee, Q. Zhang, Y.M. Han, W.J. Qu, Z. Han, R. Zhang, Y.X. Wang, D. Chen, and D.K. Henze (2012), Carbonaceous aerosols in China: top-down constraints on primary sources and estimation of secondary contribution, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 12, 2725-2746, doi:10.5194/acp-12-2725-2012.
19. Heald, C.L., H. Coe, J.L. Jimenez, R.J. Weber, R. Bahreini, A.M. Middlebrook, L.M. Russell, M. Jolleys, T.-M. Fu, J.D. Allan, K.N. Bower, G. Capes, J. Crosier, W.T. Morgan, N. H. Robinson, P.I. Williams, M.J. Cubison, P.F. DeCarlo, and E.J. Dunlea, Exploring the vertical profile of atmospheric organic aerosol: comparing 17 aircraft field campaigns with a global model, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 11, 12673- 12696, doi:10.5194/acp-11-12673-2011.
20. Pacifico, F., S.P. Harrison, C.D. Jones, A. Arneth, S. Sitch, G.P. Weedon, M.P. Barkley, P.I. Palmer, D. Seca, M. Potosnak, T.-M. Fu, A. Goldstein, J. Bai, and G. Schurgers (2011), Evaluation of a photosynthesis-based biogenic isoprene emission scheme in JULES and simulation of isoprene emissions under present-day climate conditions, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 11, 4371-4389, doi:10.5194/acp-11-4371-2011.
21. González Abad, G., N.D.C. Allen, P.F. Bernath, C.D. Boone, S.D. McLeod, G.L. Manney, G.C. Toon, C. Carouge, Y. Wang, S. Wu, M.P. Barkley, P.I. Palmer, Y. Xiao, and T.- M. Fu (2011), Ethane, ethyne and carbon monoxide concentrations in the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere from ACE and GEOS-Chem: a comparison study, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 11(18), 9927-9941, doi:10.5194/acp-11-9927- 2011.
22. Zhang, Y.W., Z.L. Gu, S.C. Lee, T.-M. Fu, and K.F. Ho (2011), Numerical simulation and in situ investigation of fine particle dispersion in an actual deep street canyon in Hong Kong, Indoor and Built Environment, 20, 2, 206-216, doi:10.1177/1420326X10387694.
23. Fu, T.-M.*, D.J. Jacob, and C.L. Heald (2009), Aqueous-phase reactive uptake of dicarbonyls as a source of organic aerosol over eastern North America, Atmospheric Environment, 43(10), doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.12.029.
24. Guo, H., A.J. Ding, T. Wang, I.J. Simpson, D.R. Blake, B. Barletta, S. Meinardi, T.-M. Fu, Y.S. Li, and W.T. Hung (2009), Source origins, modeled profiles and apportionments of halogenated hydrocarbons in the greater Pearl River Delta region, southern China, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphere, doi:10.1029/2008JD011448.
25. Jacob, D.J., E.E. Drury, T.-M. Fu, E. Leibensperger, L. Mickley, A. Tai (2009), Aerosols over the United States: space observation, source characterization, and climate interactions, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 73(13), A579-A579.
26. Fu, T.-M.*, D.J. Jacob, F. Wittrock, J.P. Burrows, M. Vrekoussis, and D.K. Henze (2008), Global budgets of atmospheric glyoxal and methylglyoxal, and implications for formation of secondary organic aerosols, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphere, 113, D15303, doi:10.1026/2007JD009505.
27. Henze, D.K., J.H. Seinfeld, N.L. Ng, J.H. Kroll, T.-M. Fu, D.J. Jacob, and C.L. Heald (2008), Global modeling of secondary organic aerosol formation from aromatic hydrocarbons: high- vs. low-yield pathways, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 8, 2405-2401, doi:10.5194/acp-8-2405-2008.
28. Liu, C.-M., M.-T. Yeh, S. Paul, Y.-C. Lee, D.J. Jacob, T.-M. Fu, J.-H. Woo, G.R. Carmichael, and D.G. Streets (2008), Effect of anthropogenic emissions in East Asia on regional ozone levels during spring cold continental outbreaks near Taiwan: a case study, Environmental Modeling Software, 23(5), 579-591, doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2007.08.007.
29. Millet, D.B., D.J. Jacob, K.F. Boersma, T.-M. Fu, T.P. Kurosu, K. Chance, C.L. Heald, and A. Guenther (2007), Spatial distribution of isoprene emissions from North America derived from formaldehyde column measurements by the OMI satellite sensor, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphere, 113, D02307, doi:10.1029/2007JD008950.
30. Fu, T.-M.*, D.J. Jacob, P.I. Palmer, K. Chance, Y X. Wang, B. Barletta, D.R. Blake, J.C. Stanton, and M. J. Pilling (2007), Space-based formaldehyde measurements as constraints on volatile organic compound emissions in East and South Asia, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphere, 112(D6), D06312, doi:10.1029/2006JD007853.
31. Wang, Y.X., M. B. McElroy, R. V. Martin, D. G. Streets, Q. Zhang, and T.-M. Fu (2007), Seasonal variability of NOx emissions over east China constrained by satellite observations: Implications for combustion and microbial sources, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphere, 112, D06301, doi:10.1029/2006JD007538.
32. Sauvage, B., R. V. Martin, A. van Donkelaar, X. Liu, K. Chance, L. Jaegle, P. I. Palmer, S. Wu, and T.-M. Fu (2007), Remote sensed and in situ constraints on processes affecting tropical tropospheric ozone, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 7, 815-838, doi:10.5194/acp-7-815-2007.
33. van Donkelaar, A., R. V. Martin, R. J. Park, C. L. Heald, T.-M. Fu, H. Liao, and A. Guenther (2007), Model evidence for a significant source of secondary organic aerosol from isoprene, Atmospheric Environment, 41, 1267-1274, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2006.09.051.
34. Palmer, P.I., D.S. Abbot, T.-M. Fu, D.J. Jacob, K. Chance, T.P. Kuruso, A. Guenther, C. Wiedinmyer, J.C. Stanton, M.J. Pilling, S.N. Pressley, B. Lamb, and A.L. Sumner (2006), Quantifying the seasonal and interannual variability of North American isoprene emissions using satellite observations of formaldehyde column, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphere, 111, D12315, doi:10.1029/2005JD006689.
35. Liu, X., K. Chance, C.E. Sioris, T.P. Kurosu, R.J.D. Spurr, R.V. Martin, T.-M. Fu, J.A. Logan, D.J. Jacob, P.I. Palmer, M.J. Newchurch, I.A. Megretskaia, and R. Chatfield (2006), First directly-retrieved global distribution of tropospheric column ozone from GOME: comparison with the GEOS-CHEM model, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphere, 111, D02308, doi:10.1029/2005JD006564.
36. Jiang, X., Q. Xu, S.K.W. Dertinger, A.D. Stroock, T.-M. Fu, and G.M. Whitesides (2005), A general method for patterning gradients of biomolecules on surfaces using microfluidic networks, Analytical Chemistry, 77(8), 2338-2347, doi:10.1021/ac048440m.
Invited talks (selected)
1. Fu, T.-M. et al., Neural network prediction of agricultural waste burning in southern and northern China to benefit air quality management, The 5th International Workshop on Regional Air Quality Management, November 14-17, 2017, Guangzhou, China
2. Fu, T.-M. et al., Space-based constraints on biogenic and anthropogenic VOC emissions: exploring the sources of uncertainties, Gordon Research Conference on Biogenic Hydrocarbons and the Atmosphere, June 28-July 3, 2016, Girona, Spain
3. Fu, T.-M. et al., Space-based constraints on Chinese and global NMVOC emissions: exploring the sources of uncertainties, AGU Fall Meeting, December 9-13, 2016, San Francisco, USA
4. Fu, T.-M. et al., Diagnosing the sensitivity of air quality to climate warming, Telluride Workshop on New Insights into Gas Phase Atmospheric Chemistry, July 18-22, 2016, Telluride, USA
5. Fu, T.-M. et al., Sensitivity of surface ozone and PM2.5 to the interannual variability of climate: the role of BVOCs, Gordon Research Conference on Biogenic Hydrocarbons and the Atmosphere, June 28-July 4, 2014, Girona, Spain.
6. Fu, T.-M. et al., Carbonaceous aerosols in China: constraints on primary emissions and secondary formation pathways, The 7th World Conference on Particulate Technology, May 19-22, 2014, Beijing, China
7. Fu, T.-M. et al., Carbonaceous aerosols in China: constraints on primary sources and estimation of secondary contribution, The 4th International Workshop on Regional Air Quality Management, January 14-17, 2014, Hong Kong, China
8. Fu, T.-M. et al., Air-sea exchange of volatile organic compounds: a new model with microlayer effects, Future of SOLAS Advisory Team Workshop, December 3-5, 2013, Plymouth, UK
9. Fu, T.-M. et al., Carbonaceous aerosols in China: constraints on primary sources and estimation of secondary contribution, National Natural Science Foundation ShuangQing Forum, November 17-19, 2012, Beijing, China
10. Fu, T.-M. et al., Aqueous-phase reactive uptake of dicarbonyls as a source of organic aerosol over eastern North America and China, The 2nd International Workshop on Regional Air Quality Management in Rapidly Developing Economic Regions, November 9-10, 2012, Guangzhou, China
11. Fu, T.-M. et al., Carbonaceous aerosols in China: top-down constraints on primary sources and estimation of secondary contribution, The 7th Asian Aerosol Conference, August 17-20, 2011, Xi’an, China
12. Fu, T.-M. et al., Atmospheric glyoxal and methylglyoxal: their role as SOA precursors and their potential as diagnostics for surface O3 sensitivity, AGU Fall Meeting, December 9-13, 2009 , San Francisco, USA